Who we are?
We are an Action Group of Transition Cornwall+ focused on building bicycle and pedestrian friendly communities that enable all people to walk and roll for fun, fitness or function.
We believe that by working together we can affect bigger change in our communities. We work with a variety of community partners including: Municipal leaders (elected officials and municipal staff), local agencies (Cornwall Police Service, Community Health Centres, Eastern Ontario Health Unit), local clubs (such as Kinsmen Club of Cornwall, Cornwall Outdoor Club), local businesses (Total Cyclerly and Sports, Big Catch Communications), and of course various community volunteers. To learn more about our amazing partners and supporters, click on the logos in the slider at the bottom of the page.
Our vision: Vibrant, resilient communities with clean air, healthy citizens, and safe, accessible and interconnected transportation systems.
Our mission: Through partnership-building, advocacy and leadership, we want to build awareness of and support for strategies that lead to progressive active transportation policies across Cornwall and the Counties of SDG.
What we do?
Engage community partners and individuals in bicycle and pedestrian planning and discussions
Raise awareness of the benefits of walking and rolling and of the importance of having bicycle and pedestrian friendly communities across Cornwall & SDG
Advocate for better bike and pedestrian policies, programs, infrastructure, and strategies
Connect people to information, programs and resources related to walking and rolling
How we do it?
- Host regular Action Group meetings with special guests
- Want to attend or present at a future meeting? Send us an email.
- Support and work with community partners
- Participate in community open houses and consultations on issues that impact walking and rolling
- Coordinate the annual June is Walk and Roll Month
- Encourage local businesses to register as a bicycle friendly business on the Ontario by Bike network
- Deliver presentations to municipal & county councils and other interest groups
- Write letters to elected officials and decision makers to lend support to or advocate for bike and pedestrian decisions
- Collaborate with regional partners on the Eastern Ontario Active Transportation Network
- Provide groups and event organizers with our easy-to-use Bike Valet (like a coat check for your bike) set-up and guidebook
- And more so much more!
Have an idea or a bicycle or pedestrian related issue you’d like to share with us? Connect with us, we’d love to chat!
Transition Cornwall + is a working group of the Social Development Council of Cornwall and Area. The Active Transportation Group is made possible through leadership from the Eastern Ontario Health Unit and support from several community partners and volunteers.